Warner Bros. Discovery Teams Up With Taiwanplus
The new most-anticipated programming event, TaiwanPlus Presents, brings Taiwan to the world with its colourful sceneries, magical discoveries, and dancing surprises
- Taiwanese opera, folk performances, and glove puppetry take centerstage in brand new series 'Master Class'.
- The new one-off program 'The Island of Diversity' showcases inspiring stories about NFT, eco-friendly wedding gowns, and a mountain chef.
- New programming event, TaiwanPlus Presents, in partnership with TaiwanPlus premieres across Southeast Asia from September 4 to October 23, 2022.
SINGAPORE - Media OutReach - 31 August 2022 - In collaboration with TaiwanPlus, Taiwan's first global English-language news and culture streaming platform, Warner Bros. Discovery has unveiled TaiwanPlus Presents, a culturally riveting programming event that will premiere on Discovery Channel on September 4, 2022, at 6:15 pm (SEA/PH) and 5:15 pm (BKK/JKT). Programming will also be made available on TaiwanPlus for audiences worldwide on October 10, 2022.
TaiwanPlus Presents tells a captivating story of how Taiwan has evolved into what it is today, from its rich history and traditions to its future-forward people.
"We want to show the world the power of Taiwan's culture that entertains, educates, and inspires. We are honored to join hands with homegrown media platform TaiwanPlus to exhibit the country's rich heritage from the arts to agriculture which the region can draw inspiration from and the Taiwanese can take great pride in," said Cindy Ma, Head of Commercial Taiwan, Warner Bros. Discovery.
TaiwanPlus Acting CEO Michael Yu explains, "We are thrilled to share some of the most captivating stories about Taiwan with the world. TaiwanPlus is also excited about the partnership with one of the most prominent broadcasters to dive deep into our unique culture and lifestyle—and the very real stories of the people behind them." The newly founded platform, whose mission is to share Taiwan's perspective with global English-speaking audiences, is confident that the collaboration between Warner Bros. Discovery and TaiwanPlus will enable the international community to see Taiwan from a different perspective, and at a deeper level.
TaiwanPlus Presents consists of eight episodes spread across three programs: 'Master Class', 'Taiwan Revealed', and 'The Island of Diversity'.
- The first 'Master Class' episode (premieres September 4) will highlight the traditional and prosperous Taiwanese Opera, which brings together beautiful scenery, dazzling light effects, splendid costumes, and elaborate singing, dialogue, acting, and acrobatics. Since 1929, the Ming Hua Yuan opera troupe has attracted countless opera fans from all over the world, creating a unique opera culture belonging to Taiwan. This episode will take viewers behind the scenes as Ming Hua Yuan faces a generational change, and as Taiwanese Opera Masters Tsui-Feng Sun and Chao-Hsien Chen pass on their experience, skills, and love to their apprentices for this classic form of theatrical production.
- The second 'Master Class' episode (premieres September 11) will showcase how energetic and lively folk performances play a significant role in Taiwanese culture. The Chio Tian Folk Drums & Art Troupe is a well-known "Din-Tao" parade formation that reflects the spirit and values of the Taiwanese people. The troupe elevates its artistic quality by working with experts in music, dance, theatre, and martial arts—who in return, are taught all about the folk culture by the troupe leader. In this episode, Masters Zheng-Rong Xu, Shih-Min Chen, and Huai-Wen Hsu pass on their knowledge and tradition to their apprentices for this modern form of folk production.
- The third 'Master Class' episode (premieres September 18) will bring Glove Puppetry—or "po-te-hi" in Taiwanese—centerstage as Taiwan's national art form and long-standing popular entertainment form. This documentary will follow esteemed puppeteer Yin-Chun's Wang journey as he apprentices with the grandmaster Hsi-Huang Chen to study the traditional glove puppetry style. It will also show how the traditional style contrasts with the golden ray style and how the new generation of puppeteers revamps this art form to attract new audiences.
- Episodes 4 to 7—the 'Taiwan Revealed' series—will unveil Taiwan's green efforts in cultivating a circular economy (premieres September 25); ushering in a new generation of medical elite (premieres October 2); improving one's quality of life through biomedical technology (premieres October 9), and constantly developing smart agriculture (premieres October 16).
- Episode 8—'The Island of Diversity' (premieres October 23)—will pay tribute to how Taiwan plays a pivotal role not only in the global tech supply chain but also in diversity and creativity. This episode will take viewers on a journey to witness various groundbreaking innovations by the Taiwanese, from the latest trending non-fungible tokens (NFTs) to the world's first eco-friendly wedding dress, to a group of nature-loving chefs who champion environmental sustainability. Through the lens of international talents, this compilation will bring forth an awe-inspiring collision between tradition and innovation.
TaiwanPlus Presents is in line with TaiwanPlus' efforts in delivering world-class content and showcasing the country's vibrant culture, diversity, and beauty. As its broadcast partner, Warner Bros. Discovery upholds its commitment to bringing quality entertainment to homes of fans and the culture curious around the world.
'Master Class' Photos
'The Island of Diversity' Photos
The Island of Diversity
Master Class: Taiwanese Opera
Master Class: Taiwan's Folk Performance
Master Class: Glove Puppetry
About Warner Bros. Discovery
Warner Bros. Discovery (NASDAQ: WBD) is a leading global media and entertainment company that creates and distributes the world's most differentiated and complete portfolio of content and brands across television, film and streaming. Available in more than 220 countries and territories and 50 languages, Warner Bros. Discovery inspires, informs and entertains audiences worldwide through its iconic brands and products including Discovery Channel, discovery+, CNN, DC, Eurosport, HBO, HBO Max, HGTV, Food Network, OWN, Investigation Discovery, TLC, Magnolia Network, TNT, TBS, truTV, Travel Channel, MotorTrend, Animal Planet, Science Channel, Warner Bros. Pictures, Warner Bros. Television, WB Games, New Line Cinema, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Turner Classic Movies, Discovery en Español, Hogar de HGTV and others. For more information, please visit www.wbd.com.
Based in a thriving democracy at the heart of the most dynamic and fastest growing region on earth, we are the first and only English language, global news and entertainment media platform from Taiwan.
TaiwanPlus delivers independent and impartial daily news by international journalists focused on global and local events, bringing you the stories from Taiwan that will resonate across the world. With our unique position in geopolitics and international trade, TaiwanPlus also provides an inside look at Taiwan-China relations with in-depth reporting and analysis.
We showcase Taiwan's uniqueness in culture and lifestyle—as well as the best from Taiwan's food, travel, music, and entertainment—and what binds us together as part of a global community.
TaiwanPlus produces three daily newscasts 5 days a week, develops long and short form features, curates movies and other entertainment programming, creates engaging social media content and much more. Wherever you are, on whatever device, TaiwanPlus delivers world-class content from Taiwan's perspective.
For more information, visit www.TaiwanPlus.com or follow us on social media via @taiwanplus.